Date:      Fri, 2 May 1997 09:33:07 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Subject:   Re: Assigning more disk space...

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Steve Howe wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>
> > > When I installed FreeBSD in my machine, it has Windows95, so I used fips
> > > and assigned half of the disk space to freebsd and the other half to
> > > windows. Now, I want to throw away Win95 and assign its disk space to
> > > FreeBSD. Also, I am running out of swap (I used the defaults when
> > > installing), so probably I need to assign aditional swap space too. What
> > > is the best way to do both things? My FBSD version is 2.1.5.
> >
> > This is pretty tough. Having two FreeBSD slices on the same hard disk is
> > a bit of a problem because only one of them can be bootable, and by
> > murphy's law, if you delete your Win95 partition and put a FreeBSD slice
> > instead, it will render your old FreeBSD slice unbootable. I'd suggest
>
> why would it necessarily render the old slice unbootable?
> the bootstrapping doesn't care what kind of partition/slice
> it loads ... ?  you just wouldn't want booteasy to try to boot
> an un-bootable partition.  why can't you just reformat and label
> the 95 partition from FBSD, and add it to fstab?

That's not the problem. If you look at the output of df, you'll see that the
root partition has no slice number (mine is wd0a for example). The root
partition is taken to be the first partition on the *first* BSD slice on
the disk you booted from. If that's not truely your root partition,
FreeBSD will not boot. That's why it might be possible, but you may have
to reinstall at least the root partition on the new slice too.

[snip]

> > Nadav
>  Sleep: a sign a caffeine deprivation ... http://www.anchorage.net/~un_x

Nadav