Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:25:42 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        ccsanady@scl.ameslab.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, matt@3am-software.com
Subject:   Re: Network concurrency problems!?

> > With the possible exception of the data alignment issue, which of these do
> > you think are *not* used by the 100 Mbps cards supported by FreeBSD?
>
>   Not "think", but "know".  The 3COM Fast Etherlink is only used in polled
> mode.  Even then, the card does seem to be terribly efficient.  You should
> read the driver, and card specs for more details, rather than bother the
> list.

You're right - I shouldn't have said "the 100 Mbps cards supported by
FreeBSD" - but then I didn't realize that the 3Com card was relevant at
all. All the high-speed work I've seen with FreeBSD has used either the
Intel Pro 100/B or a DEC 21140 based card.

>   Also, DG has mentioned that the Intel Etherexpress Pro100, is faster
> than anything using the de driver, because the driver is simpler, due to
> the hardware design of the Pro100.

Yes, the Pro 100/B is measurably faster, and the driver is simpler. The
speed difference is not dramatic, though, according to my own measure-
ments.

I can't remember seeing a direct statement that the Pro 100/B driver is
simpler due to the design of the Pro 100/B. Can anybody help me here?