Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:04:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Robert Watson wrote:

=)Hence my suggestion that you boot from floppy.  You now know you are
=)running the correct kernel, and have the required set of utilities to get
=)things going.  To be entirely honest, if you system is that hacked to
=)pieces, you really need to reinstall.  The chances of missing something at
=)this point are just to great.

	That would be true except non of the admins are local users.  All
of us run the machine remotely.  The owner who has physical access to the
machines is out of town for 2-4 months and people taking care of the
Estate wouldn't know what's what even if I guided them on the phone.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]