Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 00:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joseph Stein <joes@seaport.net>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help... Unexplained crashes under RELENG_2_2 (last message in syslog is from atrun)

>   I don't understand.  It rebooted itself, and it was a hard reboot?  That
> isn't possible.  Is a panic message displayed?

No panic message (that I know of).

It may not have been a hard boot; but my PNP ISDN TA reset and was not probed
when the system came back up.  When I use 'reboot' or 'shutdown -r' that is
not a problem -- the only time that I get that problem is when a hard boot
occurs (and I'm not there to intervene with the DOS floppy... :( )

> > The last thing that is written to syslog() when it happens is messages like:
> > Sep 21 17:00:00 shasta CRON[925]: (root) CMD (/usr/libexec/atrun)
>
>   Strange, cron messages are normally written to /var/cron/log.

And indeed they still are.  I have a
*.*						/var/log/MASTER
in my /etc/syslog.conf because when trying to figure out when or where
something went "wrong" it's nice to get a big picture of what's happening
on the whole system.

>   atrun is an application, even if buggy it is not supposed to crash the
> system

Yep.  Like I said, the only two things that I know of are:

	o every time (except this most recent) the system locked up,
	  the screen-saver (Daemon one) was frozen mid screen.
	o the atrun entry is the last one in the log file.

>   You put all the logs into one file?  That is very odd, and definitely
> not how the default config works.

true enough.   See response above.

Thanks for your response,

joe