Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:12:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dru Nelson <dnelson@slip.net>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        alex huppenthal <alex@comsys.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Transmission on DSL

> We're using the Krell 784kbit  DSL modems with quad Cogent/Adaptec Ethernet
> cards and getting periodic buffer overflow errors? The Krell is set for full
> duplex operation 10 MB operation.
>
> I haven't tried 1/2 duplex because we want to set the modems to one setting.

  I would let it be half duplex/normal 10 mbit. 784kbit isn't going to
  hurt a 10 mbit.  The added benefit here is that you know it will work
  since its normal ethernet and you will be able to place up to 5 of
  these per Freebsd ethernet interface.

  Just to be on the safe side, is the duplex on the Krell the problem?
  If so, are you sure that is for the ethernet interface?

  I've found that certain vendors detection of full duplex is really poor.
  (Cisco CAT5000 and Sun HME cards, they wouldn't even detect link
   proper)

  Man, I wish you were in my area, I would really like some DSL speed!

  Dru Nelson
  Redwood City, California