Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 22:36:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jan Koum <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop HD errors (wd0: interrupt timeout:)

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Jan Koum wrote:

> 	I have an AST 910N laptop (16RAM/500HD w/64MB swap) I have
> installed FreeBSD-2.2.2 on and added latest PAO patches from
> www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO.
> 	But it seems to me that my IDE HD has some problems:
>
> wd0a: soft error writing fsbn 285550 of 285440-285567 (wd0 bn 416622; cn 413 tn 5 sn 3)w d0: status 50<rdy,seekdone> error 10<no_id>
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 10<no_id>
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>
> bad block -1394081790, ino 718
> pid 265 (rm), uid 0 on /: bad block
> bad block -1394606078, ino 718
> pid 265 (rm), uid 0 on /: bad block

Bad.  Very bad.

> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted.
> Card inserted, slot 0
> ed0: address 00:20:cb:82:04:f6, type NE2000 (16 bit)
> wd0: interrupt timeout:
> wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
>
> 	I only get errors like that when I ftp something to the machine
> over the ethernet. If I switch over to another tty and try to remove large
> file or a lot of files at one time, system crashes and reboots. Anyone had
> a problem like that before and know what can be done to fix it?

A busted disk or controller... yuck.  Hard to fix.  You can try running
bad144 against it.

>I looked > through the archives and noticed a lot of people with the same
error.  > But could not find the solution and it seems like my machine is
the > only one that reboots. Yes, I tried messing around with apm and >
different BIOS settings. If there is no fix for it I will have to avoid >
ethernet FTPs and stick with 28.8 :(. Any help would be great. Thanks, > >

You might check that the ethernet card is not mistakenly taking irq 14 or
15 and is blocking out your IDE controller.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo