Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:10:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru (=?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?=)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, xaa@stack.nl, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, denny1@home.com
Subject:   Re: wish /bin/sleep handled fractions of a second.

> > Yes.  I prefer that someone else fix the man page after this patch is
> > committed.
>
> You broke /bin/sleep POSIXness with your patch (for .* fraction). Read
> about different sleep and usleep calls signal reaction. sleep supposed to
> exit immediately (POSIX requirement) while usleep not (traditional BSD).
> We need to fix usleep to do the same as sleep first to not break
> /bin/sleep

It's usleep that's broken, it's usleep that needs fixed, IMO.  A fixed
usleep is the most correct action.

Note that it only inconveniences people who use the non-POSIX extension,
yet expect POSIX behaviour.  I can live with tha until usleep is fixed.
Probably the patch should be committed and a PR submitted against usleep()
for not following POLA with regard to how it acts relative to other members
of its immediate family (ie: sleep()).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---