Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:40:20 -0500
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@houseofduck.ml.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Win 95 Network Backup

Actually, because of a hardware shortage, I do that here, but archive to
tape, not CD. I run SAMBA on the BSD box, and then mount the "drives" on
NT. Once the drive is mounted, it is eligible for backup with backup
programs. The file copying is done using the SMB protocol, and windoze
doesn't know the difference. One caveat from my days at an un-named
company, where we were trying to develop a program that would reliably
be a CDR burner over the network: CDR's need a constant stream of data
at a steady rate. Data over/under-runs are very possible in this
scenario. IMHO, you stand a better chance of burning frisbees than
backups over the network.

--
Joshua Fielden, Systems Administrator, GeoCities. jfielden@geocities.com
#include <std_disclaimers.h>