Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 21:01:41 +0000
From:      "Edwin" <edwin@introweb.nl>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Complex NAT issue

> Date:          Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:47:15 -0800 (PST)
> From:          Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
> To:            Edwin <edwin@introweb.nl>
> Cc:            freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Re: Complex NAT issue

> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Edwin wrote:
>
> > I'm facing a complex connectivity problem.
> > What I've got is 3 different routers on 3 different networks.
> > What I want to get working is 1 network with windows (3.11 or 95)
> > machines connected to these 3 networks.
> > What I thought of is the following:
> > put 4 network cards into 1 PC with FreeBSD.
> > Put 1 network card on the local network and NAT on this NIC.
> > Then it should be working alright... or doesn't it ?
> > Somebody have any suggestions ?
>
> Sounds like a job for a real router with firewall capabilites.
Could be done with 3 routers with NAT I would  think at first.
But which one of the 3 would be the gateway ?

> Can you provide some ASCII art to help illustratre your problem/desired
> solution?
I'll try.
3 different networks. Routers attached to leased line. With an
ethernet port to connect to.
This is the setup I had in mind:
Remember that the IP adresses of the 3 networks are fixed because of
the organisations providing the network services. There are
applications running on each of these networks. Therefore when I want
to be able to access all these applications on 1 computer I must be
able to connect to all of them (at the same time). And yes it is
TCP/IP that is used in all networks.

 leased line   leased line  leased line
 [x.x.x.x1/24]   [y.y.y.y1/24]        [z.z.z.z1/24]
            |                    |                        |
[x.x.x.x2/24]    [y.y.y.y2/24]       [z.z.z.z2/24]
      ep0                  ep1                    ep2
 |          FreeBSD server with Firwall     |
                             ed0
                      [192.168.0.1]

      +------------------------------------+
       |        local network                 |
      +------------------------------------+

When I would put NAT on the ed0 interface. Shouldn't I be able to
communicate with the 3 different networks ?

The next trouble is that from these 3 networks I also want to connect
to a machine in the local network. Just to make things a bit more
complicated ;-).
Fixed translation from ip to ip would be the solution.
Anybody have any experience with this ?
I now I'm asking a lot. But it's a rather complicated situation I
think.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Edwin Ringersma

   IntroWeb                Postbus 724 7550 AS Hengelo
   Tel: 074 - 243 01 05    Welbergweg 30
   Fax: 074 - 242 98 95    7556 PE Hengelo
   http://www.introweb.nl
  Internet Access & Zakelijke Internet Toepassingen