Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:03:26 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        felix@royal.net
Cc:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>, behind brown eyes <benji@haven.boston.ma.us>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: annoying spammers...

On Dec 12, 1997 at 06:19:11PM +0000, Aled Treharne wrote:
> We recently had a similar thread on our local newsgroups and this little
> snippet appeared form the Law Dept.:
>
>      By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
>      meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. By Sec.227(b)
>      (1)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to
>      such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary
>      loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for EACH violation.

Um, two things.  First, I don't believe that the assertion that
(computer == fax) has actually been tested in court.  Until it is,
this may or may not be true.  AFAIK, only Oregon has a law that
specifically covers unsolicited email.

Second, your email:  taff@blue.bad.bris.ac.uk
                                        ^^^^^
What would the US Code have to do with the UK?  :-)
--
Jonathan