Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:46:43 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm_fault in tail(1)

In the last episode (Jan 24), David E. Cross said:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, David E. Cross wrote:
>
> > Ok, here is an interesting problem for everyone, I try to tail a
> > specifc file on a CD that I burned, and tail(1) produces no output,
> > and just seg-faults, wihout a core dump, and the following errors
> > are written to syslog:
> >
> > Jan 24 11:17:49 phoenix /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably
> > hardware) error, PID 19547 failure
> > Jan 24 11:17:49 phoenix /kernel: pid 19547 (tail), uid 1000: exited
> > on signal 11
>
> Some further information, I rebooted the machine, and immediately
> tried tail(1) after the reboot (with 39M of the 64M listed as free
> and no VM usage), same error, and after runnig tail(1), still no VM
> usage.

tail(1) mmaps the file it is processing, so your input file is paged-in
just like the swapfile by the vm system.  I've had similar things
happen to me when I run NFS-mounted binaries and the NFS server goes
away.   I'm not a kernel guy, though, so I couldn't imagine what would
be causing it to fail in your case.  Sparse file, maybe?

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com