Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:13:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ben Pepa <bpepa@msn.bc.ca>, Alexander Batzios <nethopper@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XF86Setup

On Sun,  8 February 1998 at 13:56:50 -0800, Ben Pepa wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Alexander Batzios wrote:
>> Hullo. I have just installed the 2.2.5 ver of freebsd and all is well
>> except for Xwindows. When I enter XF86Setup and enter my monitor and
>> card settings it CAN, yes can, start the X server in 800x600 resolution.
>> But, when I run startx it goes to 800x600 x 1000 little black lines that
>> go up and down all the time. I've tried almost every possible modeline
>> that might fit my monitor (a handarex crystal) but I can't make the
>> black lines go away. So I thought that if I tried to run X the way
>> XF86Setup does when it tests the server it might work. Does anyone know
>> how XF86Setup starts the X server after the message " attempting to
>> start server? "
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> I had the exact same problem.  My solution was to copy the XF86Config.eg
> example file and use it (it works on most my monitors & video cards).
>
> Try this:
>
>> cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.eg /etc/XF86Config
>
> then, try running startx.  This may fix the problems you've been having.

That's rather a hit or miss approach.

There's a lot to say about how to approach this problem, more than
would fit here.  The simple answer from my point of view is "Get the
book 'The Complete FreeBSD', it's described there".  A more useful
answer might be to compare the frequencies on the mode line with what
your monitor and board can do, and possibly to be a little more
specific in describing the problem.  I don't really understand how you
can get 1000 black lines on a 600 line display.

Greg

with "unsubscribe questions" in the body of the message