Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 14:58:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        kline@thought.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: insight needed on PLIP

According to Doug White:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 1998, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >    lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
>
> OK, you must be notified that lp0 is available.

	dmesg reports::

          lp0: TCP/IP capable interface

	Pretty sure it would say the same thing on my new platform...

> > What's next?  What lines do I put into the configuration files
> > in /etc?  And then, what kind of cable do I plug between lpt0
> > and lpt0?   Since my new 6x86 platform is not part of the
> > larger net, can I assign my local IP designation? (Like 127.0.0.02)
>
> For the cable, use an `Interlink cable'; I have one that is a
> parallel->parallel crossover with a null modem cable alltied to it.  Very
> handy to have around if you're short on NICs.

	I'll ask my local PC store for this; or a `Laplink'.

	In /etc/config, I added lp0 to the list of network_interfaces::

	  network_interfaces="lo0 ep0 tun0 lp0"

	And the line ((indicated by lp(4) )):

	  ifconfig lp0 127.0.0.1  127.0.0.2 -link0

> Use a private net and configure interface lp0 on both ends.

	How close is this configuration to being correct for my
	FBSD to FBSD lp link??

	thanks,

	gary

--