Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:42:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org (Andrew N. Edmond)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ken@plutotech.com, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Adaptec 7895 (again)...

Andrew N. Edmond wrote...
> > > I'm writing to follow up on some mailing list archive hints that mentioned
> > > that there might be a highly desireable 3.0-current bootdisk with the CAM
> > > bits on board... is there any truth to this?  If such a boot disk exists,
> > > where can one find it?
> >
> > Well, I keep wanting to create one and Justin keeps telling me "next
> > week", so I'm not sure if that's going to exist anytime soon.  Justin? :-)
>
> If I get a cvsup of the 3.0-current source, apply the CAM diffs, how do I
> then make my own boot floppy?  I can't find instruction for this anywhere,
> and this is a point for consideration - instructions for making your own
> boot floppy from a custom source tree?

	Well, to make boot floppies you generally have to make a release.
That is a major pain.  But, someone has already done the work for you!

Check out:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/cam-boot.tgz

	It is a CAM boot floppy, probably made from our latest released CAM
snapshot.  (back in early January)  If you've got questions about it, mail
Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>.

	If for some reason that doesn't work for you, I'd suggest getting a
supported controller and doing the install that way.  (If you have any
other FreeBSD boxes, you have a supported controller!)  Then download the
-current source and patch in the CAM changes.  Then just dump that disk
over onto the disks on the other machines.  :)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com