Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 01:55:51 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Richard Stanaford <richard@cube3.erinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

Richard Stanaford wrote:

>   You might as well add me to the list. :-)  Fortune has graced me with a
> little box that I can play with and I have a nice brand new 2.2.5-RELEASE
> installation on it, but I want to go -stable.  I'll fully back up William
> on this.  There are several instances where I have searched the archives
> looking for varying types of information.  In most cases I either found
> what I was looking for or at least had a direction to go.  I do not think
> of the archives as a good resource of caveats, however.  I have
> 2.2.5-RELEASE on my box for about three days and I have jumped in to the
> -stable mailing list trying to get a grasp of what the issues are and what
> might bite me.  I am all for reading first and building later, but if
> there is any way there can be a list of some type, a log, something that
> anyone can look at after synching up their source tree and see that "if
> you are not aware of this particular detail, before you 'make world', it's
> going to getcha."

	The definition for -Stable generally precludes these kinds of things.
They are much more frequent in -Current. However, every time I've seen
one of these things announced (in the last two years) the same mantra
has been repeated, "Build the world, then build the kernel, then
reboot."  Following that advice I've never been bitten, except once
where it was traced back to an oddity with stale headers. Therefore I've
added a new line to the mantra, "If you're moving up a major or minor
version level, haven't built in a while, or want to be extra cautious,
build the world with -CLOBBER; build the kernel, then reboot."

	You can find more such wisdom at
http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/upgrade.html. With respect to Nik's
version of this tutorial I think I do more step by step info that
someone new to making the world would be interested in. I do have a link
to his page (the one that's on the freebsd web page) as well and I do
point out that reading both is probably a good idea.

>   I have the fortune of my box not being mission critical.  So if I try
> something and it dies, I can pick up the pieces and even start over being
> that much the wiser.  But to have a resource of the type that William,
> perhaps others, and I have described, would be invaluable, if feasible.
> Irregardless, stable@freebsd.org is still a joy to read.

	Oh? Which -stable list are *you* reading? :)

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest