Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:26:04 -0500
From:      Benjamin Greenwald <beng@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New vx driver (Re: vx device (3c905-100mb) )

I hadn't heard about any problems with NFS traffic.  I've used these cards in
a mixed network with Sparc and PA-RISC workstations and I have to say I got at
least comparable NFS performance from the 3Com NIC's.

The Intel cards are probably the best... they are certainly the most flexible.
 As to the DEC cards, it is my understanding that they have alignment
restrictions (packets have to be long word aligned... therefore a copy is
required) that limit performance.

I'm not saying the 3Com cards are the best out there. I _know_ there is a
great deal of improvement to be made (the card under Win NT screams), but just
how much I'm not going to attempt to quantify at this rather early date. The
truth is it doesn't matter.  There are a lot of these cards out there and a
lot of people who run FreeBSD use them.  Whatever performance we can suck out
of them, we should.  If it turns out that the numbers are less impresive than
the Intel or DEC numbers, at least people can make a more informed decision
about purchasing because they'll be comparing apples to apples, not apples to
rotten acorns.  For the rest of us who are stuck with what we've got, at least
we won't feel that rush of air and the sonic boom as the world passes us by.

-Ben