Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 16:13:29 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cse.ogi.edu>
To:        "Thomas D. Simes" <simestd@alaska.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKIP problems

It's a good point Tom and it could stand MUCH clarification.
(the how is IPSEC question, not the SKIP part.  SKIP is not
an IETF standard and was rejected by the IPSEC wg several
years ago (along with photuris))...

>At the risk of asking an obvious question - how is IPsec currently
>implemented in FreeBSD?  SKIP is something that can be used now - it may
>not be the best solution, but it is something that can be implemented
>today.
>
>Tom

I can think of at MANY different IPSEC implementations that
could stand to learn from each other (I suspect).  We have
1. freebsd/NRL/psu/me as found at http://www.cs.pdx.edu/research/SMN
in case you have been asleep...    VPNs via route(8), route(4),
and keyadmin(1).   I could try to briefly clarify on-line if
there was interest.  I suspect there are at least two or more
IPSEC implementor (camps) that read this list.  Maybe we could
all do that (or I could just go on vacation).

1.1 the netbsd/NRL implementations
2. the openBSD used to be netBSD implementation.
3. the WIDE implementation
4. the NIST/linux implementation
5. and the soon to be unleashed Cisco IOS implementation :->
6. bump in the stack implementations

How they work and exactly what they do and do not do is not clear.  IPSEC has
specified packet formats, not app/kernel or user apis.  The latter
are important and different.  There are many important questions; e.g.,

what about ISAKMP?
what are the kernel interfaces?
how do the kernel parts work?
how do you add a new security transform?
how tested is the code? (how buggy?)
	is the code well written?
what is the user (or sysadmin) api?
how does key management work?
	is ASN involved :->
does it support user-level or only network level?
policy for packets in/out in the o.s.; i.e., when to IPSEC
	and when not?
tunnel security attributes?
could joe average routing daemon use it?
multicast semantics?
how many tons of docs, if any?
you claim "interoperation", exactly what did that mean?
	end to end apps
	end to router tunnel
	AH with transform Y
	which AH acc. to which RFC/draft
	etc., etc.,
... several things I haven't thought of to throw in the laundry list ...

and of course, our favorite, export control aspects.

Forgive me for this minor explosion.

					kind regards,

					Jim Binkley
					jrb@cse.ogi.edu