Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:49:10 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Translation to a safer language...

At 11:30 PM -0500 7/23/98, Lee Crites (ASC) wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Brett Glass wrote:
>=> candidates; of course, a new language could be developed
>=> with this application in mind. (The advantage of developing
>=> something new is that it could have obvious, but safe, mappings
>=> from C constructs, facilitating machine translation.) Ideas?
>
> A new language doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to me.
> We'd have to work on debugging a new language and a new compiler
> and new libraries at the same time we are working on the
> operating system.  It could happen, but I think we'd be better
> off with an existing language.

Perhaps the most practical thing would be a C-offshoot which
does not allow some "dangerous" practices, but the code for
it would compile just as well with any standard-C compiler.
This would include changes to routines in the "standard"
libraries for this C-offshoot language.

The biggest challenge of this idea is getting anyone to agree
what those "dangerous" practices would be...  As one example,
I'd have this off-C language know about strcpy, and not allow
strcpy's when the source is a variable.  I figure it'd take at
least two or three years to argue that out with people who want
the "power" of strcpy, and who won't be happy with even the
slightest change...  To deal with performance issues (of strncpy
or strncat), I'd probably want to add another set of routines
which still do bounds-checking but which don't result in as much
overhead.

Perhaps what I'm thinking of is merely a "taintC" idea, along
the lines of what perl has.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute