Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 05:10:22 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Christopher Knight <merlin@ghostwheel.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: false error while adding user via sysinstall

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 03:32:59PM -0800, Christopher Knight wrote:
> I was trying to add a user named '2grnflcn' to my system via
> /stand/sysinstall and was given the error that this user already exists.

The error is somewhere in pw(8) - from a quick point of view it
seems as if pw will assume that a user with a loginname starting
with a digit has that UID, so in your case pw (which is called by
sysinstall) found that the user you specified already existed and
had the the UID 2.
This clearly is a bug, you might file a PR on this topic.

I'll have a closer look at pw tomorrow (unless I see somebody
having fixed it by then).

--
bye, logix

<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet