Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 08:51:18 +1000
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@chalmers.com.au>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Measuring 'net traffic

If you want something more permanent, try using MRTG.
Stats in a HTML window, updated every 10 minutes, on a graf image
bob

Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> I thought the
> netstat -i
> command shows incoming and outgoing packet numbers.
> you can find out how many bytes you have received from there
> I guess
>
> On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, HERBELOT Thierry wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to know the number of bytes sent to and received from an
> > Ethernet NIC.
> >
> > I have installed ipfw (on a 3.0-Current) and 'ipfw show' shows counters
> > of packets and bytes gone through the rule "ip allow any from any" (all
> > that has not been denied before), BUT, I can't get it to show traffic in
> > each direction.
> >
> > I have tried to replace the former rule by two (one for each direction :
> > ip allow any from any in and ip allow any from any out), but this setup
> > does not work at all (I can't get communication to the network and
> > back).
> >
> > I have seen that pipes could be used to discriminate the two ways, but
> > is it possible to Keep It Simple St.. and have separate counters without
> > pipes ?
> >
> >               TIA
> >
> >       TfH

http://www.chalmers.com.au. Publications From China in 24 different languages.
English, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Burmese, Bengali,
Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Persian, Swahili,
Sinhalese, Thai, Tamil, Urdu, Vietnamese. China Books for CIBTC, Beijing.