Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 01:31:52 +0300
From:      Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which POP server to install?

On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 04:20:50PM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> With the recent pop3 daemon exploits, I'm loath to install these
> programs, of course customers want pop and imap access to thier
> email.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what pop3 server to install, and
> perhaps any suggestions for configuration?
>
> Some considerations are:
> APOP (authentication), pop3, imap, server flexibility
> and of course security.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful from people who are familiar with
> these programs.

The choice of POP server depends on many things: mailbox format, security,
speed, sometimes even MTA. The following are some POP servers with some
descriptions - look around, and then find one that suits you:

1. qmail-pop3d - works only with Maildir format. You can use it with any
MTA - qmail, exim and postfix do direct Maildir delivery, sendmail can be
coaxed to do Maildir with maildrop as the delivery agent. This POP server
is modular - the authentication is done separately with another program
called qmail-popup. By default it supports only plain text passwords, but
can very easily be modified for APOP. qmail-pop3d is very fast and small.

2. cucipop - works with mbox format. very fast and very small - supports
/etc/passwd by default. It can be modified for other auth schemes, but
personally I couldn't really follow the code very well, although I've heard
is is well written, if not clearly commented.

3. UW POP+IMAP server - supports mbox, mbx and various other formats. I
found it very inflexible - not much support for alternate auth schemes.
Also very big.

4. Our favourite qpopper - slow, big, buggy (older versions), the list goes
on. Avoid it if possible.

5. cyrus - this one is a POP+IMAP server all in one. However, it works in
"sealed-box" mode. You pipe messages from your MTA to cyrus's deliver
program, which goes and stores the mail in a format internal to cyru,s and
the only interfaces to it are POP and IMAP. Very fast. People say good
things about it. However, by default it only supports /etc/passwd, and
Kerberos. I don't know about APOP.

--
Anand