Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:50:22 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs ick in -current

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I just cvsup'd today hoping that all the NFS fixes that went in
> recently would have alleviated (sp?) the hangs I've been getting
> while building things in ports for the last couple of months.
>
> It used to be that just NFS would hang, now it seems to crash the
> entire box.
>
> server:/vol/extra/ports /usr/ports      nfs     rw,noauto,bg,intr,nfsv3,tcp,-
    r=3
> 2768,-w=32768   0       0
> server:/vol/extra/ncvs  /home/ncvs      nfs     rw,noauto,bg,intr,nfsv3,tcp,-
    r=3
> 2768,-w=32768   0       0
> server:/vol/wd0         /vol/wd0        nfs     rw,noauto,bg,intr,nfsv3,tcp,-
    r=3
> 2768,-w=32768   0       0
>
> are the mount points.
>
> attempting to compile xscreensaver has triggered it twice in a row
> /usr/ports is mounted off "server" (a freebsd -current box) and
> doing the make will kill the machine.
>
> Once I figure out where the heck I have the console redirected
> I'll have something more substantial.

You have a block size of 32K, I'll bet it's 'Bad nfs svc reply' in
nfs_syscalls.c.  This is triggered when the READDIRPLUS op generates
an oversized reply and it triggers the sanity check.

Change it to 16K and I think it'll work.  Otherwise change the panic to a
printf(), but that is sweeping the problem under the carpet and might just
give the client indigestion.  It does stop the server crashing though.

> thanks for the patience,
> -Alfred

Cheers,
-Peter