Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:17:25 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates and /

> On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Snob Art Genre wrote:
>
> > How do I enable softupdates on a root partition?  I looked through the
> > mailing list archives, because I *know* I saw this go by at one point,
> > but couldn't find it.
> >
> > I'd just start trying different strategies, but this is on a remote
> > system, and it's already tricky enough.  I had to temporarily add a
> > tunefs command to /etc/rc to get su enabled on /usr (does anyone know a
> > better way?).
>
> I booted into single user mode, ran tunefs -n enable on /dev/rsd0a, and
> hit reset.  I'm sure something similar could be accomplished if you put
> that in a rc script that ended in reboot -n.
>
> Oddly enough, I only see one:
> ffs_mountfs: superblock updated
> Even though mount shows:
>
> zippy:~/png#mount
> /dev/sd0s1a on / (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 105 async 17719)
> /dev/sd1s1e on /mnt/usr2 (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 2 async 868)
>
> *shrug*
>
> YMMV

My laptop has:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a   1885583  1176081   558656    68%    /
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
kernfs              1        1        0   100%    /kern

and I don't see any :-)  I guess it doesn't report the update for the
root slice.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;