Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 12:36:36 -0500
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't bet on 3.0 release

spork wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Dennis wrote:
>
> > -RELEASE implies that its ready for the general public. If its still in
> > BETA, which your comments indicate it is, then it should not
> > be released. What's the point of doing a release if its not ready?
>
> What I got from the announcement is that it's targetted to the following
> people:  workstation users, tinkerers, folks who are using some snap of
> 3.0 in production already for a new feature, and those that can work their
> way around problems that didn't come up in the beta test stage.  As for
> why it's released?  I'd guess you can't be in beta forever.  There's
> always 2.2.8 if you are attached to that branch for it's stability.
>
> Charles

IMHO, I think it's time to break a paradigm:-)  There no real releases any
more nor is there a need for them, there are "real-time snapshots" that can
be downloaded whenever a person wants.  Some are better and some are worse,
but we don't have to and I think shouldn't follow the commercial software
lead of releases (Especially, Micro$oft:-).  This paradigm was valid before
the Internet but is now obsolete.  As an example, we've been using 3.0 for
production servers scattered all over Mexico and performing remote updates
and maintenance from our offices. with NO operating system related problems
for almost a year now.  The server uptime is only limited by our making
world, making a kernel and rebooting from 2 to 4 times a month.   Would our
using a release make this better?

If we think back, things run smoothly until someone says, "Tomorrow we freeze
code for a release" and all hell breaks loose:-)  When the smoke clears, most
of us will continue cvsuping and making world daily, irregardless of release
or beta or alfa.:-)  It's just too damn easy and stimulating not to:-)

ed