Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:29:27 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        "Eric I. Arnoth" <earnoth@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new laptop, which system?

At 09.28 18/02/99 -0500, you wrote:
>My many thanks to all of you who sent me information on what laptops would
>be FreeBSD friendly.  I have read the suggestions, searched the web for
>more details, and performed extensive price comparisons.  Now that I have
>selected the new laptop I will buy, I find myself wondering which version
>of FreeBSD should I install.  Which would be wiser to install on a fresh
>system, 3.1 (3.0?) stable, or the PAO 2.2.8?  I notice that there is no
>PAO install disk for 3.x, and I certainly want to install the right
>version since I have a clean slate to start from.  Thanks again for all
>the emails everyone sent.  It is very gratifying to have recieved such
>kindly assistance in my moment of crisis.

If you are brave enough I'd suggest go for 4.0-current, but if you use for
a production env. I strongly suggest 3.1-stable. I have no problem at all
at running FreeBSD 4.0-current on my Libretto 50ct and Ast, but I am using
them for fun ... if a day there is a problem is not a critical iussue.

2.2.x-stable branch is out of discussion...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it