Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 02:04:42 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Brad Knowles <brad@his.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re(2): DPT SmartRAID IV w/ FreeBSD...

On Mon, Nov 9, 1998, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>The dpt(4) man page says:
>
>The dpt driver provides support for the DPT Smart Cache Plus, Smart Cache
>     III, Smart Raid III, Smart Cache IV, and Smart RAID IV families of
>     procucts.
>
>The Storage Manager will not run under FreeBSD, so keep your DOS boot
>floppy handy. :-(

    I appreciate your getting back to me.  However, in the meanwhile, the
situation has changed a bit, and now it looks like I'm probably going to
be installing a commercial version of Unix that will support software
RAID as well as growing the filesystem online -- that is, unless you can
tell me how this can be done with FreeBSD (or any other *BSD) or Linux.

>In ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/archive-info/ there's a doc describing the hardware
>layout.  wcarchive is super-slow in responding right now or I'd have the
>full url.

    I've seen that article.  It's very interesting, but I don't think our
budget will stretch that far.

    Besides, I really do like the idea of being able to grow the
filesystem online -- I still have to turn the machine off to put in new
drives, and I'll still do a full backup of the server before I take it
down, but at least I shouldn't be forced to to umount & newfs the RAID
array, and then restore from tape.

    Thanks again!

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;