Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:54:53 +0400
From:      Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        "Sergey A. Ivanov" <lw@pd.chel.ru>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: =?us-ascii?Q?linuxOracle+DBI+DBD::Oracle_=3D=3F?=

On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 09:06:24AM -0700, Tom Samplonius wrote:
> >   Is there any how-to connect to remote Oracle server from FreeBSD using Perl
> > with modules?
> >   Now i have installed ports/emulators/linux-base, ports/devel/linux_devtools
> > as described in handbook (ch.23.4), Oracle 8.0.5.0.0 for linux (client and
> > Pro*C), ports/databases/DBI, and trying to install DBD::Oracle by hands:
> >  perl Makefile.PL - ok
> >  make             - ok
> >  make test        - fail with diagnostics:
>
>   You will not be able to link the Linux Oracle client into a FreeBSD perl
> binary.  The emulation system can not handle this, and it is one of the
> reasons why native Oracle client libs would be much appreciated on
> FreeBSD.

  We managed to handle this situation in our pure FreeBSD shop. What
we have is an Oracle 8.0.5 EE running ALONG with a Linux perl
(installed from a binary rpm taken from RedHat ftp) which is used to
run dbiproxy(1). This very perl (situated of course under
/compat/linux) has a DBD::Oracle installed. So we now connect to our
brand Oracle database server from all FreeBSD boxen via
DBI->connect('DBI:Proxy:host=xxx;port=3334;dsn=DBI:Oracle:....)
without even bothering about some obscure sets of Oracle client
libraries.

This works only for perl connectivity due to a brilliant
DBI::ProxyServer+DBD::Proxy interface by Jochen Wiedmann.

--
Alex Kapranoff,                              Voice: +7(0832)791845.
131 days till brand new millenium...