Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:32:59 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        "Karl Pielorz" <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Mounting MSDOS hardrive image file?

> I have a 20Mb 'image' file of an old MSDOS hard drive - is there any way I
> can mount this under FreeBSD? - I have the geometry for the drive, in case
> it's needed...

# man vn
# vnconfig /dev/vn0c old_harddisk_image
# mount_msdos /dev/vn0c /mnt
[use filesystem]
# vnconfig -d /dev/vn0c old_harddisk_image

You may have to strip off the partition table and the first few
sectors to convert the file into a filesystem image rather than
a hard disk image. You can usually just the first track. For
example if the drive has 63 sectors per track...

# dd if=disk_image of=filesys_image bs=512 skip=63

Cheers.
 ,--_|\  | John Saunders    mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au   |
/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |