Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:45:16 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Joseph Lee <nugundam@best.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting natd to forward ident requests?

At 02:17 AM 12/13/98 , Joseph Lee wrote:
>Pending functionality in natd that supports forwarding identd requests,
>is there some other way to somehow forward ident requests on the firewall
>machine to the machine on the inside machine originating the connection?

I've only needed this when trying to do IRC from inside my natd network.
What I did was set up a socks5 firewall (www.socks.nec.com) that only
allowed connections from inside my firewall and didn't need a password. I
had it run under its own user account (although the nobody account would
work just as well). Now when I IRC out, my identd shows the socks5 user as
owning that connection. It works well enough for IRC.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )