Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:45:32 -0500
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@speck.ml.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386/conf/PCCARD

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 07:06:59PM -0500, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
> On 5 Jan 1999, Robert V. Baron wrote:
>

> > I've been wondering, of late, how well/if laptops are supported in
> > -current.  It seems that the configuration, PCCARD, has recently
> > (since mid December) has gone away.  Is this the answer?
> >
> I've been running 3.0-CURRENT on my laptop since 3.0-RELEASE came out
> without any problems.  Now that you mention it, PCCARD is gone; but I've
> been updating my current config since -RELEASE.
>
> So far, no problems have arisen; apm support is there, XFree86-3.3.3
> supports the NeoMagic chipsets (standard in many models), and as long as
> your pcmcia chipset/cards are supported by default, everything should work
> ok.
>
> -Chris

3.0's pcic0 driver doesn't seem to like my PCCARD controller. At all.
I get all sorts of problems with it like inserting a card will hang the
machine (with the slot access light on) until I eject the card, at which
point the driver attach will fail and the machine will resume working
fine. There's also no way to tell it which IRQs to use or not to use.

I snagged the pao3 sources via cvs from jaz.jp.freebsd.org, and have
been running fine with PAO on 3.0-R since then. However, this sticks me
at 3.0-R, something I'm not happy at all about. If anyone workong on
the pcic code is hearing me, this is dmesg output (with PAO3 kernel):

  pcic0: <TI PCI-1220 PCI-CardBus Bridge> rev 0x02 int a irq 9 on pci0.19.0
  pcic1: <TI PCI-1220 PCI-CardBus Bridge> rev 0x02 int b irq 9 on pci0.19.1
  pcic0 at 0x3e0-0x3e1 irq 9 on isa
  pcic0: slot 0 controller I/O address 0x3e0
  pcic0: slot 1 controller I/O address 0x3e0

IRQ 09 is what 'doze assigns to the controller as well (and 11 to the NIC
card, a combination which works great under FreeBSD). PAO tries to assign 11
by default to the controller but I can change it to 9 so I can set the card
to 11 (I can't change this value with 3.0-R's pcic). 3.0-R's pcic tries to
assign it values like 3 or 5, does this matter?

Anyway, plenty of other people have said that their PCMCIA works fine
with -current, so I'm assumming it must be something with support for my
controller. Anyone have any ideas? I really hate to be tied to -RELEASE
because of PAO.

--
  / Nathan Dorfman \  / "`IE4 brings the web to UNIX'? *laughing*