Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:49:58 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Eric <eric@FreeBSD.IM.ntu.edu.tw>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cable Modems

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 05:41:02PM +0800, Eric wrote:
> Hi All:)
> 	Sorry , I don't know much about cable modem technology.
> 	So I was wondering if there's any support(or plan)
> 	for cable modems? since I have already got a network
> 	adapter is there anything necessary for cable modem?
>
> 	Best Rgards ,

[Just so you know, -current is the wrong place for this sort of question. Use
questions@freebsd.org in the future. ]

I set up a COM21 cable modem at work using a FreeBSD box as the gateway, and
it seems to work well. For decent (bidirectional) cable networks, you should
only need an Ethernet card (and possibly a DHCP package). For others, it
depends; some modems require a login (tying them to Windows in most cases),
and some have analog-modem return (requiring a modem in the computer and the
use of ppp(8); the COM21 at work can run in either bidirectional or
modem-return mode.)