Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:44:44 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reporting AMD processors (was: CPUT_WT_ALLOC_DISABLE)

On Monday, 22 March 1999 at  0:54:12 +0000, Brian Feldman wrote:
>   Does anyone want a CPU_WT_ALLOC_DISABLE and CPU_WT_ALLOC_ENABLE as separate
> options? I see a couple changes that should be made to the kernel now:
>
> CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.69-MHz 586-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping=12
>   Features=0x8021bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
>
>   There should be another line, formatted the same, that ALWAYS reports
> CPU_WT_ALLOC info. This will help in debugging problems with certain hardware,
> because on K6-2's I get unreliability with write allocation on. For instance,
> I updated my BIOS lately and observed a crash. On boot -v, I noted that
> the BIOS was kind enough to turn on write allocation, but on a CPU that it
> doesn't seem to work well on.

What's wrong with leaving the message in the -v output?  After all,
it's debugging info.

>   I propose an option to turn OFF write allocation instead of just one to turn
> it on. I also propose the change in CPU info printouts to (more correct spacing
> and extra line):
>
> CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (300.69-MHz 586-like CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x58c  Stepping = 12
>   Features = 0x8021bf <FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE,MMX>
>   Write Allocation: Disabled   15-16M Caching Enable: No
>
>   The changes would be better spacing, a write allocation line (for whatever
> CPUs are supported, notably the K5, K6, K6-[23]), and changing "class" to
> the more sensible "like" (i.e. a K6 really is 686-class, but being socket 7
> is 586-like).

You'd better pass the spacing issue past bde.  Certainly it mathes the
other messages.  On the whole, I suppose this is reasonable info, but
I wonder if we're not tending towards too much information anyway.  I
needed to increase the MSGBUF_SIZE on some machines just to get the
total content of a non-verbose boot.

Greg