Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:37:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dsj@sylvester.dsj.net (David S. Jackson)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, dsj@sylvester.dsj.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslog errors

I was away for a while. Looks like this never got any further along.

David S. Jackson wrote,
> On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > You still have not told us how big your swap is. Output of swapinfo(8)
> > please?
>
> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/wd0s1b     38296    35576     2592    93%    Interleaved

> > > Does this call for a reinstall at this point?
> >
> > I fail to see what that would solve unless you are planning to expand
> > the swap space.
>
> That was what I had in mind.  I don't know of a way to resize partitions
> nondestructively under any of the Freenix's.  There is no way, is there?

Nope, you cannot resize a partition without destroying the data in
it.

> > > Jul  2 01:00:02 juno /kernel: pid 724 (cron), uid 0: exited on signal 4
> > > (core dumped)
> > > Jul  2 06:28:04 juno /kernel: pid 1169 (inetd), uid 0: exited on signal 4
> > > Jul  2 06:28:04 juno inetd[135]: /usr/libexec/comsat[1169]: exit status
> > > 0x4
> >
> > Hmmm... I'm not sure why these would be dying with a SIGILL. Might be
> > some other problem.
>
> Well, perhaps we can revisit this after I get the swap issue resolved.

Better to fix something you know is broken first.

> Regarding the swap issue, I'm used to Linux where you need a separate
> swap partition.

You need a separate swap partion for FreeBSD too. However, FreeBSD
partitions can live inside of a "slice" (a slice is an MSDOS style
partition). Linux uses the same partiton table as MSDOS (as far as I
know), and therefore is limited to 4 "real" partitions or you can do
those kludged extended partitions. FreeBSD has partitions that live
inside of the MSDOS slices (or you can use the 'dangerously dedicated
mode' and lose the MSDOS disklabel all together).

That all said, if you have both a Linux and FreeBSD on this system,
they can use the same swap partition. Linux would not be able to use a
FreeBSD partition within a slice, but FreeBSD will be perfectly happy
to use the full slice that Linux uses for swap.

> How do you increase swap in BSD?  I'll read the handbook
> as well as listen to your answer!  :-)

You'll need to find someplace you can spare the room and resize
partitions. But as we said, resizing is destructive so what you should
do is backup a partition, rezise it, and then restore the
partition. How you go about this depends on what type of devices you
have for storage and backup, and many other things. I've resized
partitions myself on a number of FreeBSD systems. I've never done a
whole new reinstall to get it done.