Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:50:34 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Seagate vs Quantum.. opinions?

On Wednesday, 25th August 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

>IBM drives are okay, but like a lot of IBM stuff, sometimes do things
>gratuitously different. Also, they sometimes die in midlife- unlike
>Seagate drives which, past initial mortality, seem to go for years.

When people vouch for their favourite drives I would like them to also
give an estimate of how many drives they are basing their opinions on.

For example, I've got 3 IBM SCSI disks.  Love them.  Quiet, low heat,
fairly fast.  I've got some really old Seagates.  Love them (well, they
used to be fast for their day).  I've got some not-quite-so-old Seagates.
Hate them.  Noisy, hot.  But the point is that this is only 10 drives
total that I'm basing all this on.  (This isn't counting a fair collection
of really, really old hardware thrown at me instead of the bin).

So, how many drives have you watched live and die?

Stephen.