Date:      05 Jan 2000 12:49:43 -0500
From:      Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
To:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>] natd coexisting with rpc.statd+nfs

Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com> writes:

> To debug this, disable NFS from your rc.conf.  Kill any
> mountd and nfsd processes.  Then, as root, start mountd
> manually and then nfsd 4.  Check rpcinfo -p to make sure the
> processes are running.  You should be able to connect to
> your exports at this point.

I did so and the first thing I noticed was that rpcinfo -p hangs.
if I include the hostname then it runs and only the portmapper entries
are showing:

rpcinfo -p myhostname
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper

Both nfsd and mountd show up as processes at this point.

> Also, are you using tcp_wrappers?  If so, you will need to
> check hosts.allow and hosts.deny for a portmap: entry.
> Based on the error message you are getting, the nfs and
> mount daemons aren't working.  rpc.statd has nothing to do
> with serving up exports.

The results above certainly confirm this diagnosis

Any suggestions on where to go from here?
A.
--
Allan E. Strand          stranda@cofc.edu,  http://linum.cofc.edu
Department of Biology    Phone:      (843) 953-8085