Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:30:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jail + PostgreSQL

I've been taking a look at the SysV IPC code a bit this morning, and it
looks like the problem is that it supports a single integer-based
namespace that is seperate from the file system namespace.  Leaving aside
criticisms of the design, it looks like we need to perform some sort of
namespace scoping: either allocate independent namespaces for each
jail/partition, or provide stronger inter-jail protection while
maintaining the same namespace.  From the perspective of running
applications regardless of the jail, the first of those is prefered.

I'm going to take a further look at it this evening, and could probably
hack together some patches by tomorrow or Sunday, although there may be
some garbage collection issues.  I've never used SysV IPC before, so there
may be a bit of a learning curve there.  If someone else wants to give
this a hack, that would certainly not be bad :-).

  Robert N M Watson