Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:56:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
Cc:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie packages

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, ML Duke wrote:

> > > So I'm thinking of creating a short article (unofficial) that lists one
> > > or two recommended packages in a variety of categories.
>
> Excellent idea. I remember being so confused even to make a port
> to _try_ an application was a trial: "make? right. What's make?"
> Seems we can do that right here on this list real simple like.
>
> For starters I would recommend:
> Lynx
> Pine
> Netscape
> ee
> ispell
> xpdf
> CorelWP
> gimp
>
> Course that's just me. With enough contributions, we could probably
> cover most everything right here on newbies.
>
> ML Duke

I haven't been following this in detail but my recommendations are
1) cvsup and 2) a good shell, probably bash because it does everything
and Linux uses it as the default.

Beyond that it depends on what you want to to--I was using "mail" to send
mail tonight, just out of sheer quick convenience.

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC