Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:43:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <root@noops.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (no subject)

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Chris wrote:
> > > Another thing to point out though is if a hacker were to spoof his IP address
> > > and do a port scan, what would be the point?  The data is useless if it can't
> > > get back to the individual.
> >
> > One word, DoS.

Well, two words... one of which is DoS. Another, which I find fun, and
also doesn't matter if your ISP does egress filtering is to make a scan
look like it came from your whole subnet. I'm sure that even if my DSL
provider was making sure all the leaving traffic came from it's network it
would still be tough to catch. Or, and this is rare these days, is if you
are on an unswitched subnet or could somehow view traffic in flight you
can always make the scan look like it came from the guy next door and just
sniff the replies as them come back.

I know my DSL is unfiltered on it's way out, so if I'm doing an audit from
home for any reason I always mix in 127.0.0.1 as a decoy -- just in case
it hits something amusingly misconfigured, like a portsentry-type package
with a glaring misconfiguration.

-tcannon