Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:00:08 -0600
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: funding TCP stack rewrite

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 10:27:04AM -0700, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> What kind of sum of money are we talking about here? Can you estimate
> what hacker/month effort is required? Would it make sense to setup a
> [paypal] fund of some kind, hosted on freebsd.org to raise the
> required sum? That way small companies and even individuals can
> contribute even if the total is more than they can afford...
>
> Is there a guru with enough unallocated time to concentrate on the
> rewrite?
>
> Will the dedicated work of the said guru get a high priority as far as
> review and commit steps are concerned? A public semi-formal commitment
> or encouragement from FreeBSD core group may be in order to raise
> support from the community. Otherwise, folks may worry that these big
> changes, once implemented, will get stuck in the commit queue forever.

the freebsd foundation is supposed to be an a not-for-profit organization
that (amongst other things) delegates donated money to developers for
this kind of work.  at their current speed, they will be ready to provide
such a service in the year 2018.

core has nothing to do with preventing or allowing completed work to
enter the tree. the quality of the code does. presumably, the people
that the foundation (or NAI or whoever) contracts to do FreeBSD work
are of high calibur and that isn't a problem.

--
- bill fumerola / fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org / billf@mu.org
- my anger management counselor can beat up your self-affirmation therapist