Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:52:50 +0700 (JAVT)
From:      ari <arifin@xfilesfan.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compile Custom Kernel?

On 21-Jun-99 Doug White wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, ari wrote:
>
>> Hello FreeBSD,
>>
>> I wish to add my sound card to my kernel, but when I try running "make
>> compile", appear message "You must build your kernel before trying to
>> install"
>>
>> Below is my procedure to install new kernel, reference from handbook:
>>
>> #cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC MYKERNEL
>> #ee /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYKERENL
>>        and then I add device and controller for my soundblaster 16 card then
>>        compile and install MYKERNEL:
>> #cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>> #/usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
>> #cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
>> #make depend
>> #make
>> #make install  {notes: here appear message "you must first build your kernel
>>                         before trying to install}
>
> Can you reproduce the exact message?  A script of your session, perhaps?

Okay, But it very fast on my screen, when I running  "make", show on screen:

ncr.o: undefined symbol '_scsi_alloc_bus' referenced from text segment
ncr.o: undefined symbol '_scsi_attachdevs' referenced from text segment
ncr.o: undefined symbol '_sc_print_addr' referenced from text segment
ncr.o: more undefined symbol _sc_print_addr refs follow
tek390.o: undefined symbol '_scsi_done' referenced from text segment
alc7xxx.o: more undefined symbol _scsi_done refs follow
..
..
*** Error code 1

> Sounds like the 'make' is failing.