Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:14:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft performance (was: ...)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Karl Denninger wrote:
> >
> > A simple start would be to explicitly put a macro or call in each
> > syscall to push down the lock.  That way people can move that
> > macro farther and farther down in the syscall code path, hopefully
> > removing it entirely in some cases.  I think having the call at
> > the beginning of each syscall would motivate people into doing that
> > sort of work.
> >
> > "Hey, y'know getppid() is safe, i'll just take the lock out."
> > "this function xxx() is safe until this point I can process a lot
> > before actually needing this lock..."
> > "y'know I just have a structure that's not accessable to any other calls
> > that i'm going to fill in, i'll just lift the lock right here"
> > "if I just do this something here, I really am re-entrant and safe.."
> >
> > Providing a simple api for spinlocks and mutexes would be very nice.
> >

> Something along the lines of how spl()s work? And mutex allocation like what
> we do with malloc types, maybe?

I'm not sure what you mean by the refernce to malloc types, I just
thought something along the lines of mutex_t with an API
for trying, allocating, freeing and initializing them.

Also, some really interesting things could be done via per-CPU
resource pools to lower the amount of contention on objects.

Pardon the niaveness of this idea, but things like per-CPU
malloc areas and each CPU haveing a queue for CPUs if
memory is free'd by a processor that down't "own" it.
Things like someone signalling another processor if one of its
free queues becomes full, or if a CPU finds its pool exhausted.

-Alfred