Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:36:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc@netcologne.de>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        aa8vb@ipass.net, van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3D board for XFree86 GLX - Please recommend

> Someone told me that future nvidia boards will be AGP only though
> which really sucks since none of my alphas have AGP and I don't think
> alphas will ever have AGP.

I first thought AGP was just a PCI bus run at 2x33 MHz or even 4x33 MHz.
But there must be more to it, if you say that alpha boards don't feature
AGP. Embrace & extend tactics from Intel?

Just out of curiosity:

I understand that the PCI bus specs are CPU independent, but what is with
the BIOS on a PCI card, isn't that written in x86 code?

Does a non x86 system like alpha simply ignore the BIOS?

> It also makes it impossible to use them in a multihead configuration
> since I think AGP is limited to exactly one slot.

Intersting.
Which brings me to another question - I pulled the old RIVA 128 card,
I wonder if I could have let it stay in the system together with the TNT.

Regards,
Marc