Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:16:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: relative alpha speed

In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9909012240130.706-100000@salmon.nlsystems.com>,
Doug Rabson  <dfr@nlsystems.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 jon@cops.com wrote:
>
> > I am a little perplexed about all of this.  If the performance and
> > disk space usage are better on intel what benefit do I have using
> > an alpha instead of an intel... besides just being cooler than all
> > of my intel friends?
>
> Floating point performance rocks compared to intel.

... until you make the Alpha conform to the IEEE FP rules and handle
the whole range of numbers it is supposed to handle (-mieee).  Then it
becomes much slower than ix86 once again.  I've been disappointed in
the performance of the Alphas, given that performance is supposed to
be their strong point.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron