Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:55:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, somsky@annwn.phys.washington.edu, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Examples of FreeBSD SMP success?

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Marc Schneiders wrote:

> How on earth do you do it? Softupdates?? My UniProcessor Celeron366 @ 458
> takes 15 hours (4.0 current of 13 September). I do use it for mail and the
> like, but no CPU intensive stuff.
> I have also run FreeBSD (both 3.1 and 4.0) on a Dual PPro 200 @ 233. One
> Seti file was only slightly quicker than letting the box do two at a time.
> Maybe 5 % or so. Of course two CPU's need twice the amount of RAM, I
> would say. But I hardly expect anyone running an SMP box with less than 64
> MB. So that cannot be the issue, probably.

Hmmm, Asus P2B-D motherboard, with 128MB of RAM, IDE disks.  seti is VERY
light on disk.

Also, I meant to say 15 hours, not 5.  However, it took 15 hours if 1
block was processing, or 15 hours if there were two.  That was my point.

-  UNIX Operations/Systems               http://www.digitalspark.net  -
-  adams (at) digitalspark.net                    xxx.xxx.xxxx xxxxx  -