Date:      Sat, 25 Dec 1999 12:32:01 -0600
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, sos@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: using vgl

On Sat, Dec 25, 1999 at 01:07:50PM -0500, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Tim Tsai wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to do some work based on vgl but it appears that it is tied to
> > syscons and any vgl programs must be started off a console.  Is there any
> > way I can start a vgl program from a remote terminal (but have the output
> > be displayed on the local VGA screen) without writing a proxy of some
> > kind?
>
> Err... why do you want to do that?  Even if it's a big program, it should
> be properly written so that the frontend and backend can be separate
> and network-transparent, if that's to be its purpose.  So the big question
> is, why aren't you using X11?

  Because I want to?  :-)

  Okay, this particular FreeBSD box is connected to a scan converter and
the output is displayed on my TV.  Sitting in front of the console is not
real practical literally as the computer is nicely tucked away.  It just
seems weird to have vgl so tied to syscons when one of the big advantages
of Unix has always been remote accessibility.  We run more than a dozen
FreeBSD machines at work and I've never sit in front a console other than
for emergency maintenance.  Think about a possible embedded systems project
where you might use VGL to display some banners - it would make sense to
be able start/stop a vgl program without being in front of the console.

  X11 is way too big for what I need.  I just need some simple VGA graphics
on my TV.

  I suppose I'll end up writing a small console program that can start up
my program if no better solution exists.  When I said "proxy" I don't mean
client/server by any means.  I just mean a way to start a console program
without being on the console.

  Tim