Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:03:11 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001241353540.315-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
: That's the precise reason I suggested a system that used no probing, had
: feedback, and forced shared load in spite of user misconfiguration.  Got
: shouted down.

One reason I think that you've been shouted down (and me too, since I
had similar ideas) is that people in the past have had problems with
different cvsup servers being at different points in time and have
been screwed to som eextent or another by this time skew.

There is a large resistance to automatically switching cvsup servers.

It is my perception that the cvsup servers are much better now than
they were even 6 months ago (well, cvsup{1,2} do seem to be much more
heavily used than 6,7,8).

Warner