Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:27:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YA ssh question (ssh-askpass?)

Kris Kennaway writes:
 > On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Richard J Kuhns wrote:
 >
 > > I've installed a Tcl/Tk version of ssh-askpass in /usr/local/bin (which
 > > works by itself; I've tried it). I've also set SSH_ASKPASS_ENV to
 > > /usr/local/bin/ssh-askpass, but it hasn't made any difference.
 >
 > There's an X11 version in /usr/ports/security/openssh-askpass, but it
 > should probably work with other "equivalent" versions. By default it looks
 > for it in /usr/X11R6/bin/ssh-askpass (compile-time define), but can be
 > overridden using the SSH_ASKPATH environment variable. This is documented
 > in the ssh-add(1) manpage :-)
 >
 > Kris

So does all this mean that I now have to start using ssh-add/ssh-agent?
Does that actually buy me anything?  I was under the impression that
ssh-agent was there to allow you to enter your passphrase once, and then
not have to do it again that session.  I *don't* want to do that; when I'm
on-site, I *want* to be prompted for my password when I attempt to commit
changes to a file (and I work with multiple repositories).

Thanks...

--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \