Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:30:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I'm still messing around trying to get vmware2 to operate.  I decided to
> try to reinstall the ports/emulators/linux_base port, and deinstalling it
> took out the linux/dev directory.  Reinstalling it did not put it back.

I just bought and installed vmware2 on a very fresh 4.0-STABLE system.
/compat/linux/dev is mostly bare except for hda, hdb (which I don't
use), rtc, null, and some tty* links.

> I have *some* of the devices back, but I don't know enough about what
> Linux devices are, to stick all the stuff back in.  I need my scsi disks,
> I think, and my cdrom is scsi too.  How about my ttys ... I have some of
> my tty's in there, but I'm not at all sure I have softlinked things
> correctly, because I don't know what Linux is expecting.

I didn't softlink any devices by hand, and everything seems to be
working fine.  I have a physical disk that I already had NT4 Server
installed on that I am now running under vmware.  To get that to work,
I simply set up a "plain disk" with the reported geometry for the
drive, like so:

ad1: 4112MB <WDC AC24300L> [8912/15/63] at ata0-slave using UDMA33

DRIVETYPE      IDE
CYLINDERS   8912
HEADS         15
SECTORS       63
ACCESS  "/dev/ad1" 0 8321840

Notice I used the FreeBSD device, not a linux device.  It doesn't seem
to care.

> Anyone running vmware with scsi disks (and cdrom) mind sending me a ls -l
> of their linux/dev?  In fact, it might not be a bad idea to send to the
> list, because I couldn't find this info in the mail archives anywhere.

Would vmware know the difference between, for example, /dev/ad1 and
/dev/da1?  If not, SCSI or IDE devices should work equally well.
I'll find out as well once I get this working at home, since I have
SCSI disks there.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )