Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 04:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: category for xdrawchem

> There may be a couple of ports which could be moved from other categories,
> but we certainly don't have many. My concern is when someone does submit
> the first (e.g.) physics port, where does it go? Into an inappropriate
> category like chemistry, or another inappropriate category like misc?

It occurred to me that "science" or "scientific" might not be the best
name for this directory....  Albeit a bit long, "physicalsciences" or
something like that might be a little more descriptive for the topics on
hand, while "dumbsciences" would have subdirs such as "political", etc.
(Ya know, for programs like "electionpredictor-1.4", no offense intended
toward the poli-sci people out there.)  Maybe have an "uncategorized"
directory under "physicalsciences" and "dumbsciences" for temporary
storage of the first two or three physics ports submitted, until there are
enough to justify their own subdir.

This is, of course, when we go to a multi-level ports directory...  I
always liked being able to quickly find what I wanted on
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux, other than the fact that I sometimes have
to search through ./apps and ./X11/apps, etc...  Just keep the "how you
run this program" hierarchy requirement out of it...

--mike