Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 20:56:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ram drive on 4.0

Dru wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> > To add a MFS drive, add the following to your /etc/fstab
> > /dev/wd0s1b		/tmp		mfs	rw,-s=65536	0	0
> > Creates a 32MB MFS on /tmp
>
> This is what I originally did (except I used /dev/ad1s1b as that is what
> my /etc/fstab entry for swap is)
>
> I tried the above, and got 2 error messages during dmesg (and an
> unmountable system)
>
> 	swapon: /dev/ad1s1b: Device not configured

^^ If you can't swap on this device, you most certainly won't be able to
configure MFS ;-)  I apologize for joining this thread a bit late and not
reading the background, but perhaps a fresh start will be for the best
anyway.

You have ONLY ad0, correct?  How can you swap on ad1 if the drive does not
exist?

> 	mfs: /dev/wd0s1b: No such file or directory
>
> man mount_mfs was one of the pages I read; couldn't decipher that one
> which was I originally asked for a tutorial somewheres.
>
> This is a fresh install of 4.0, not upgraded from 3.x. When I was in 3.x
> my devices were wd_ as I remember noting they now seem to be called ad_

Yes, you do need to use ad* now.  The devices have been rewritten and
renamed for 4.0.  My example was obviously for an older system, as I don't
currently have a 4.0 machine within arm's reach.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2